December 19, 2016

It's black, it's white striped dress

Going back to my basic instincts, whenever I go fabric-shopping I'm always on the look out for striped textiles, which seem to be somewhat uncommon to find. Luck has hit me a few times because I've found a number of striped fabrics that are exactly how I ideally picture them in my mind.

Some say it's inspired by Beetlejuice's outfit. Others think it looks Robin Thicke-ish. I even thought it looked a lot like Hot Topic's dress from their American Horror Story collection. But the truth is that I'm simply a sucker for striped fabrics, and I'd wanted to have a dress like this since a very long time ago. I actually own several black and white striped clothing pieces, counting a hoodie, two dresses, a pair of pants, a knit sweater, two shirts, a pair of stockings, etc, etc, etc.

With a simple strapless bodice and a gathered skirt, the dress has a simple but elegant construction. I don't usually pair dresses with belts, but the day I got these pictures taken I discovered the dress fit a little big on me. I think this brown belt goes particularly well with my dress and it balances it out. Needless to say, I have already adjusted the dress to fit me properly.

The black and white striped fabric gives the dress a dramatic and even burlesque look. I also have this same fabric in red and white, so expect to see a similar dress in those colors soon enough! For these pictures I paired my dress with a black knit choker, a borrowed brown belt, and my faithful black sandal heels by Qupid.

Come back later for more about fashion and crafts! 

2 comments: