December 30, 2016

Swimsuit sizing: nightmare or blessing?

There's something quite particular that I've come to realize starting some years ago, after I actually started caring about my swimsuits and decided to buy my very own pieces: I own swimsuits ranging from size 14 (kids' size) to XL (women's size). So... What is this about?
Sometimes people choose to go one size up or down, depending on the fit of a clothing item, its stretching properties, its junior or non-junior sizing, and other elements to consider. However, I would have never guessed that someone could make such enormous leaps between sizes! But, alas, I have the living proof packed inside my closet.
I currently own around 30 swimsuits, counting bikinis and one-pieces, and even reversible suits. It's funny because I'm not a real fan of going to the beach or the pool, but I have a weakness for swimsuits that hook my mind and bother it for weeks and weeks. Anyway, it's very interesting to compare the fit and sizes of all my swimsuits: (14, 16 and XXL kids) and (XS, S, M, L and even XL adults). I think there's absolutely no logic to be found in this lot, and that's why now I'm always faced by an existential doubt whenever I want to buy a new swimsuit and the seller asks "which size are you looking for?", especially if it's an online shop. My conclusion can only be one: never deny trying on a swimsuit before buying it; and if you're buying online... good luck.
 
Now, about my outfit. The swimsuit that I'm wearing is from a fabulous small business from the Venezuelan seamstress Sussy De Pieren. I actually own several swimsuits from her brand, Tuqueque. Since I first found out about her, I've always admired her exquisite taste in creating innovative, fresh and creative new swimsuit styles. The very first swimsuit that I owned from Tuqueque was a birthday gift from my mother, and it's definitively one of my favorite swimsuits that I've ever owned.
This particular swimsuit came in a size L (mistaken for an M), but it still fits me well enough. Not many people know this, but you can actually tweak some features of a swimsuit to wear it in different ways. For example, this swimsuit is too big for me if I wear the straps crossed on the back; but with one simple move to the front... voilá! I love the printed fabric of this swimsuit, combining a snakelike purple pattern with green leaves. It's very exotic and glamorous at the same time.

I will definitively be posting more about my swimsuits and showing them to you. Meanwhile, feel free to follow Tuqueque on Instagram at @sussydepieren.

Stay tuned for more fashion posts! 

2 comments: